Amazed!

Amazed!
As I was prepping for the next chronological healing I ran across this AMAZING scripture. The scripture is Mark 6:6; it has the word “amazed” in it. Well that’s the way the NIV translated that word. The KJV uses the word “marveled” instead of “amazed.” I like “amazed” but that may be because that’s what I titled this entry. The original Greek word written by Mark is “thaumazo.” The same word is found in Matt 8:10 describing Jesus reaction to the Centurion’s faith. Matt 8:10 states: “When Jesus heard this, he was astonished (thaumazo) and said to those following him, ‘I tell you the truth, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith’.” “Amazed” used in Mark 6:6 is also describing Jesus reaction. I should show you more of Mark 6:6 than just one word. Here it is: “And he was amazed at their…” So in this scripture it appears that a group of people have amazed Jesus. That’s awesome, right? Don’t you want to amaze Jesus? I’m still not giving the full scripture. Here is a little more: “And he was amazed at their lack of…” So somebody has blown Jesus mind with their lack of something. Maybe it’s lack of doubt; maybe it’s a lack of sin? Maybe he has come across some Super Holy people. Wouldn’t that be neat to “amaze” Jesus with our lack of doubt or sin? Wait a minute, I don’t use the word “neat;” let me restate that. Wouldn’t that be awesome to “amaze” Jesus with our lack of doubt and sin? I better give the rest of verse 6: “And he was amazed at their lack of faith.” Wow! Jesus was amazed at their lack of faith. I think it’s safe to assume that this was not a good amazement. I guess there is more then one way to amaze Jesus. Just look at the way the Centurion blew Jesus’ mind, it “amazed” him that a Centurion (not a local Jewish resident) had such amazing faith; but here in Mark 6:6 we find Jesus’ mind blown for a totally different reason. Apparently there are 2 completely different ways to amaze God and they both have to deal with Faith. The 1st way to “amaze” Him is to grab ahold of His truth and run with it; after all that is what the Centurion did. The Cent took Jesus’ word and ran back to his servant. The 2nd way to “amaze” Jesus is to totally ignore His truth even chase Him out of town. Mark 6:6 is in a group of scriptures that tell the story of Jesus returning to His hometown to minister. He was not warmly welcomed. The whole story is found in Mark 6:1-6; but it is also recorded in 2 other Gospels: Matt 13:53-58 and Luke 4:14-30. Both Matt and Luke recorded this story but Luke (of course, the detailed Doctor dude) gives the most details. Luke tells us in Luke 4:29 that not only did the crowd hate their hometown hero but that they tried to throw Him off a cliff. That is some serious unbelief! No wonder Jesus was Amazed. But now the question comes: have I ever amazed Jesus with my lack of Faith? I would love to say that I, like the Centurion, amazed Jesus with my great faith. I can say that I have never tried to throw Jesus off a cliff, but I can also say that I have ignored His word. That’s not a great testimony, right? But I think that is more common with today’s church. We ignore His word; we don’t take Him at His word. If we did then we would not hear in our worship songs lines about “pouring down rain/pain to make me closer” or in major ministers’ sermons stating that somehow tragedy is His will so He can teach us something. But the Word of God is so clear about His will. Why, even in the way that Jesus taught us to pray He said “Thy will be done here on Earth as it is done in Heaven”(Matt 6:9-13). If things like floods, hurricanes, earthquakes, death, sickness, and the like are God’s will being done here on earth then when we get to Heaven we should expect to see the same, right? Wrong! So you say “what about God testing us?” We all want to quote James 1:2 (throw a party when going through a trial) when things get rough but then we forget to move forward in same chapter: James 1:13-17 is such a clear picture demonstrating that God does not test us with bad things. Read it for yourselves:
James 1: 13 When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; 14 but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. 15 Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death. 16 Don't be deceived, my dear brothers. 17 Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. 18 He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created.”
If we want to amaze Jesus with our faith then there is one simple way to do it; take His word and run with it. If we want to amaze Jesus with our lack of faith; then I guess we reject His word and push Him towards a cliff. I’m tired of pushing; how about you?

Stay blessed y’all, it’s your choice
jimmy

p.s. Caution! SoapBox yellin’ is about to start! Personnel story: Back in 2004 we (Kesha and I) lost some very dear friends to a very tragic car accident. They were our first friends when we moved up to Iowa. She was a teacher and he was a doctor. In ’04 they had just moved to Louisiana so he could fulfill his ortho-surgery residency. They were on thier way back to Iowa for the Thanksgiving Holiday when a truck hit them head on. All involved in the accident were killed. To say the least that was not a delightful Thanksgiving holiday. I was asked by the family to be one of the pallbearers. I was honored to do so. But I had to endure statements like “God needed 2 more flowers for His garden” and the worship song with the phrase “He Gives and takes away.” I was silently furious. Here’s why. I love my friends but I love God more and how dare they blame something so tragic on my God. The other vehicle involved in the accident was driven by a 16 year old kid who stole his grandfather’s pick-up. He lost control and hit our friends head on. How was that God’s will? Explain to me how that is our Heavenly Father’s way of treating His precious kids. Better yet, please show me in the New Testament an example of God doing that to one the first century saints. Well you might say there’s Lazarus, but go back and read the text. Plus if you remember Laz happened before the cross. How do we ever expect to win the world to an abusive Heavenly Father? If I did to my girls even a forth of what we blame God for doing to us then DHS would be knocking down my front door. Haiti, Katrina, Tornadoes, etc are not God’s will. The only ones we can truly blame for this mess is us/humans; for it was Adam that ate the forbidden fruit causing the fall of man and giving Satan free run on destruction. Jesus said in John 10:10 “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.” It’s time for the Church to stop blaming God for theft, death, and destruction; it’s time to start giving God the glory for the life He gave us through His Son Jesus Christ.

Again, stay blessed y’all, it’s your choice.
jimmy

1 comment:

Joanna said...

Jimmy - I know what you mean about "God's will." We live in a fallen world. God allows things to happen, but it's not necessarily His will. It wasn't His will for the 16 year old to steal. The boy made a choice that unfortunately had tragic consequences. I'm sorry for your loss. I know what it's like to lose close friends. - Joey